I started my PhD in September 2012. And I quickly realized that I was out of my depth. Not in the way impostor syndrome makes you feel, though there was plenty of that happening. I was out of my depth because of the amount of reading. There was more reading and writing than I had ever had to do (and I had an MBA at that point!).
Eventually, I discovered text-to-speech. But that did not help with the hours and hours I spend writing. I was doing a google search early in 2013, when I came across this new font – made by a Dyslexic for Dyslexics! It was incredible!
I read their website and discovered that it was easier. I never imagined letters could be actually seen this way!
Nowadays, Dyslexie is free for home use. But back then it cost money. I was a resource-constrained grad student. Living on a stipend that was (and still is) not enough to live on in that city. But that did not matter. I just HAD to buy it. So I did. It set me back almost $70. And it was worth every penny.
I still use this font every day. This is why it is part of my Dyslexic Grad Student’s Toolbox. My Word documents are all drafted in this font. Only at the end do I change it to the requisite Times New Roman.
This font has helped in in unexpected ways too – I get less headaches when I write!
Now to celebrate Day 4 of #AcWriMo: